Thursday, June 2, 2011

Mendocino Trip

The day after my birthday we left for a long drive up to Mendocino.  We made a nice long weekend out of our trip as a little birthday present to ourselves.


We stayed for 4 nights at the Stanford Inn in Mendocino.  The inn was beautiful, especially the grounds.  We had a wood-burning fireplace in our room and spent most of our time just relaxing and enjoying the view.  Included in your stay at the inn is breakfast from their restaurant.  The restaurant serves vegan food, and you get to just order anything you want off of the menu.  The breakfast was tasty even though I'm not a big tofu fan (I still can't get past the texture), Graham liked the tofu though.  I loved the potato dish they had that was country potatoes, beans, cashew cheese, onions, peppers, salsa, vegan sour cream, and avocado.  I had that two days in a row. Mmmmm.


The inn is alongside the Big River.  That's its name, I didn't make it up.


The gardens at the inn were beautiful.  Some of the gardens are used to grow fruits and vegetables which are served in the restaurant.  There were even llamas at the Stanford Inn!  As well as a pond with ducks.






We also visited Glass Beach and the Botanical Gardens in Fort Bragg, just 10 minutes north of Mendocino.  Glass Beach was as awesome as always.  I get so overwhelmed there because normally I would pick up every piece of glass I see at a beach, but there is just so much glass at Glass Beach.  I'm sure you never would have guessed that from the name.  The botanical gardens were also as beautiful as always, lots of blooms, and also frogs.  We also ate our favorite ice cream in Fort Bragg at Cowlicks, but I don't have any pictures of that because I ate it all too fast.




We made ourselves a tasty lunch one day of crusty bread, apples, and cheese from a co-op grocery store in Mendocino that is inside of a cool, old church.  We also made mimosas and ate the fresh-baked cookies the inn gave us.  Speaking of cheese, on this trip, I also discovered my favorite cheese ever: Herbs de Humboldt Chevre by Cypress Grove.  It was so good with crusty bread and apple.  You should go get some... and share it with me.


We also explored some of the local state parks such as Van Damme and MacKerricher.  We saw a bazillion banana slugs, but for some reason I didn't photograph any of them.

 


Our trip was awesome, and as always I can't wait to go back.  It was just so nice and relaxing.

Click on the panoramas below to see them full size.

  


 

No comments:

Post a Comment